Sponsored by Methven
Why could this be an issue?
- It’s estimated that each day Britain ‘showers away’ more than 2,000,000,000 litres of water.
- If every household in the UK took just one minute off one shower every day, it would save £215 million on our collective energy bills a year.
- Heating water = ¼ of energy bill
- Showers are the biggest water user in the house (25%), followed by toilets (22%)
- We use the washing machine on average 4.7 times each week.
- Clothes washing now accounts for 15% of water we use in our homes.
- If everyone in the UK cut one minute off their shower, we could save 660 million litres of water a day.
What can I do?
- Switch to a water saving showerhead. Aerated showerheads reduce the flow, but don’t compromise on pressure. They maintain the pressure by mixing in air with water to produce a steady, even spray.
- Low flow showerheads reduce the amount of water used, whilst still giving you the feel of a normal shower.
- Reduce your shower time – average shower time = 8 minutes, optimum shower time = 4 minutes
- Taking an average length shower, with a standard mixer showerhead, still uses less water (64 litres) than a typical bath (80 litres). Taking a 4-minute shower would use less than half the water of a bath (32 litres).
- Turn the shower off when applying hair grooming products or shower gel
- To help keep track of time try using a shower timer, they help to keep shower times reduced. If everyone used a shower timer we would save enough water to supply 1 million homes every day.
- By running your bath by just an inch shorter than usual you can save on average 5 litres of water.
- When buying a washing machine, check the label or specifications for water use, the best models will typically use less than 7.5 litres per kg.
- Remember to read the manual to find out which cycles are the most water efficient. If you can’t find it at home it will likely be available online
- Surveys show that a typical load of washing is usually much less than the maximum capacity of the model, stuff in a few extra shirts to make the most of your loads!