Waterwise is pleased to respond to the Scottish Water consultation ‘Shaping the future of your water and waste water services’.
Our key recommendations are that Scottish Water:
- Continue to deliver water efficiency programmes in partnership with energy efficiency programmes in Scotland
- Investigate the potential of rainwater harvesting at the household and neighbourhood scale to reduce water use, sewer overflows and flooding incidents
- Scottish Water and the Scottish Government should integrate demand management into the Hydro Nation programme
- The Saving Water in Scotland Network should be revived as part of the Hydro Nation programme
- Consider the carbon costs of heating hot water in the home when considering water efficiency vs new supply options
- Consider retrofitting schools for water efficiency as part of the ‘water cycle campaign’ and work with Waterwise to identify the wider water efficiency savings in the community from this programme
- Consider metering all properties to help address leakage and support customers to use water more wisely
- Consider water efficiency to enable growth and development in addition expanding your networks and infrastructure.
- Scale-up pilots delivered over the last five years and to work with Waterwise on long term communications with customers on water efficiency
- Work more closely with retailers and businesses to increase water efficiency and to consider demand management in addition to new supply measures when companies are experience growth