The Leadership Group on Water Efficiency and Customer Participation is a Waterwise initiative, launched with the UK water industry in June 2017.
Building on work to date, it brings together senior UK water industry leaders in a more ambitious approach to wasting less water – using this to drive a more customer-led culture.
The Leadership Group is chaired by Simon Oates, Southern Water Executive Director (Chief Customer Officer) Southern Water, and co-convened by Nicci Russell, Waterwise Managing Director. Membership covers all UK wholesale water companies at Chief Customer Officer, Customer Service Director or Managing Director level. Waterwise acts as Secretariat for the Group.
The Leadership Group offers a new opportunity to involve customers in thinking about their future water services. Motivating people to take action, and empowering communities through rewards, could change the way we think about water, and revolutionise services. Waterwise will challenge and support the sector on ambition and innovation – within individual companies and across the sector.
The Leadership Group is:
- driving top-level commitment and progress to scaled-up water efficiency as a tool to increase customer participation as well as resilience
- supporting these aims through innovative approaches, and sharing best practice
- developing the use of water efficiency as a tool to develop customer participation and as a result improve the tracking and quality of customer service
- encouraging companies to see customers as active participants in the delivery of services
- increasing the dialogue surrounding future customers
- ensuring that water efficiency is seen as a ‘fundamental strategic issue, rightly on every Board agenda, approached through the customer lens rather than as a dry technical supply demand issue’ (Cathryn Ross, Ofwat Chief Executive, TappedIn Event 2017)
- assisting water companies in moving beyond value for money to the value of water to communities, customers and the environment
- supporting companies to work together proactively on a national scale.
Leadership Group members have signed up to the following commitment:
As a Leadership Group member I commit to promoting water efficiency as a strategic issue within my organisation; utilising it to engage customers and increase their participation. Further, I commit to using the Leadership Group to learn and share best practice, in order to raise ambition in the UK water industry.