Senior Water Demand Reduction Group
Defra asked Nicci to take on the role as independent Chair of the newly-created Senior Water Demand Reduction Group in 2020.
The Group’s Terms of Reference set out its role as providing a forum for strategic water demand discussions with a unique combination of senior water sector representatives; providing evidence-based advice to government and regulators on the right level of ambition to set on demand management; advising on a method of measuring progress; and monitoring progress against the targets at a national and regional level, making recommendations to regulators, the UK Government and industry on actions needed to correct risks, barriers or under-delivery, or accelerate progress. Membership of the Group includes government, regulators, industry and NGOs in England.
The Group Terms of reference can be found here.
In December 2021, writing as independent Chair of the SWDRG and not on behalf of it, Nicci issued her first report to Ministers, regulators and the water industry in England, reflecting these terms of reference – setting out a series of recommendations to get the agreed need for ambitious demand management back on track. The letter can be found here and the press release can be found here. Writing her reports as independent Chair enables Nicci to draw on discussions in the Group whilst expanding ambition beyond what individual Group members may feel comfortable with.
The Group’s members are
· Richard Benwell, CEO, Blueprint for Water
· Emma Clancy, CEO, CCW
· Stuart Colville, Director of Policy, Water UK
· Anne Dacey, Deputy Director, EA
· Jo Dow, CEO, Business Stream, representing UKWRC
· Daniel Johns, Head of Public Affairs, Anglian Water and Chair, UKWESSG
· Sarah McMath, CEO, MOSL (Deputy Chair)
· Davide Minotti, Deputy Director, Defra
· John Russell, Senior Director, Ofwat
· Nicci Russell, MD, Waterwise (Chair)
· Stew Horne, CEO, EST